27 Apr How to reduce background noise in Teams meeting and call?
How to reduce background noise in Microsoft Teams meeting?
When there is background noise in a meeting that will affect Teams’ meeting audio quality and eventually affected the overall meeting experience. Microsoft Teams desktop client has the capability to reduce background noise in Teams Meetings.
Basically, when the user’s mic is turned on in a Teams meeting or call, background noise around them such as moving the coffee cup, shuffling papers, slamming doors, barking dogs, and so on can distract others in the meeting. Microsoft Teams offers three levels of noise suppression for the Teams Windows desktop app to help keep meeting participants focused.
How do I properly set the noise suppression level In the Teams windows client?
You as an end-user can change the Noise suppression setting at any time. Once changed, the setting carries over to your next meeting or call.
- In order to change the set noise suppression, Select your profile picture at the top right of Teams and then select Settings.
- Then select Devices on the left and then, under Noise suppression, select an option. By default, is an auto option but you can customize it appropriately.
- Auto (default) The Teams app decides on the best level of noise suppression based on local noise.
- High Suppresses all background sound that is not speech.
Remember: For the High option, your computer’s processor must support Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2). This option is currently not available for Mac devices using an M1 ARM processor.
Also, this option is currently not available if the meeting or call is being recorded or live captions are turned on. Additionally, enabling this option uses more computer resources hence think before setting this option.
- Low Suppresses low levels of persistent background noise, such as a computer fan or air conditioner. Use this setting for playing music.
- Off Noise suppression is disabled. Use this setting for high-fidelity microphones in low noise environments.
In case you want to set the noise suppression level for a meeting you’re currently in, then follow the below steps.
- In the Teams meeting, Select the More options button in your meeting controls and then select Device settings.
- Under Noise suppression, select an option. Refer below image
How do I properly set the noise suppression level In Teams MacOS client?
Initially it but now available for macOS users as well.
Initially, background noise cancellation capability was available only for Teams windows client not for Teams MacOS client. This is AI-based, real-time noise suppression that was added to Windows desktop client for Microsoft Teams in Nov 2020, however, Microsoft will soon also be available on macOS. This feature will automatically remove background noise from your meetings for the desktop client.
Microsoft is rolling out this capability for Teams MacOS in late April and expects to complete rollout in late August 2021.
Users can set the noise suppression level before a meeting. Once changed, the setting applies to the next call.
For Teams MacOS client, the user will be able to access from the profile image > Settings prior to a meeting and from More options … > Device settings during a meeting.